Now that you understand the benefits of coaching, choosing the right coach to partner with is important. One of the key success criteria in achieving performance involves “building trust” between you and the coach. Here are some tips to consider when choosing your coach:
- Have an introductory “Get-to-know Chemistry-Check” interview. Typically the first interview is at no charge.
- Look for similarities or differences between the coach and you, and how it will support you in your growth.
- Discuss your coaching goals and have some clear upfront agreement on the coaching approach.
- If there are any specific training involved, check if the program is approved or accredited by any coaching federation.
- Gather feedback or success stories
- Find out where the coach acquired his/her coaching skills and if they hold or are in the process of acquiring the necessary credentials from a coaching federation eg. ICF.
At BP Coach, our coaches are accredited to International Coach Federation (ICF). A coach who has been credentialed by the ICF has completed stringent education and experience requirements and has demonstrated a strong commitment to excellence in coaching.
Certification from the ICF is extremely important when considering which coach to hire. It means the coach:
- Has received professional training from a program specifically designed to teach coaching skills in alignment with the ICF Core Competencies and Code of Ethics
- Has demonstrated a proficient understanding and use of the coaching competencies as outlined by the ICF
- Is accountable to the ethics and standards set forth by the ICF
Check out Tips of Hiring a Coach (available at ICF website).
According to the 2010 ICF Global Consumer Awareness Study, 84 percent of adult consumers who had experienced a coaching relationship reported they thought it was important for coaches to hold a credential.
Feel free to contact us for a no-obligation introductory chat. We will be more than happy to share with you our experience and services that we have to offer. And who knows, we might just be the right coach for your success!